Do you ever look at businesses similar to yours online and wonder how they have the so much time to promote themselves on social media and still run their business? Do they even do any work?! Or are they just on their phones all day creating content?
The challenge for you is that you know that even with the best intentions of creating content to get the word out about your services, you are too busy to get started. When there is so much to do to keep up in today’s fast paced digital space, business owners can feel incredibly overwhelmed about how to start. But if you don’t get started, business owners with less experience in your field will fill that online void instead.
“How do I get started?” is a question I get on repeat from my clients and in my Sparks of Digital Marketing Facebook group. What everyone is really asking is how do I get motivated to start?
I get it. I was in the same position when I transitioned from my freelance business to launch Sparkr Marketing last August. All of the sudden, it wasn’t enough to put my head down and just do the work for my clients. I had a business to build and needed excellent marketing to do it.
I came up with three tools that set me up for success to create consistent content for my own business, and I know it will work for you as well.
3 tools to get started creating content for digital marketing
- Set a time. Set a weekly time in your calendar when you are going to focus on content creation. This sounds obvious and simple, but until you set up the time in your calendar, you won’t get started. Or at best, you’ll post sporadically. Set a time aside when you are at your best and be sure to turn off any distractions. It’s a little like getting in the habit of working out by simply committing to get dressed in your gear in the morning.
- Create Canva templates. Templates in Canva are a great way to make your social media posts look outstanding even without the help of a graphic designer. It also makes it easier to develop content because you can build off the images. Canva is free, but I recommend the Canva Pro version so you can access more stock photos and features. My Social Media Starter Kit can get you all set up for Canva. 👉Download it here
- Create content themes. Create content themes from the start that ensure you’re ready to be productive and thoughtful about your strategy during that hour you commit to creating content each week.
Social media content creation themes
Just to get you started, following are a few post themes that work well on social media. Keep in mind that social media is meant to be SOCIAL, which means that in the same way you wouldn’t go to a party and yell out to everyone about your business, you can’t shout to everyone in your social posts either. Focus on your clients and how you serve them by improving their lives. Remember that you are a person, engaging with another person.
- Testimonials: share what others have to say about your business
- Share your expertise to help your audience by providing free advice and content
- Ask your audience a question or get their opinion related to your business
- Share a relatable story about how you got where you are or what you do in your business that can inspire others
- Share stories about your clients or community
- Contests or giveaways for holidays or related to your business
- Let an employee takeover your channel for a day
- Share behind the scenes posts about how you run your business or make your products
Ready to get started? Download my Social Media Starter Kit and get you all set up for rocking your digital content. 👉Download it here and be sure to tag me in your posts so I can celebrate you!